A parent who wants to change a child’s last name must file a petition with the court and serve the other parent with the petition by service of process. The other parent is given the opportunity to object. If the other parent objects there will be a court hearing. A court will grant a name change upon a showing that it is the best interest of the child.

Posted in: Family Law